We’re at it again, folks! “We Dissent: Taking Back Our Civil Liberties” is the title of the National Lawyers Guild Midwest Regional Conference this weekend, and we’re facilitating a discussion on legal rights on Sunday. The whole conference will be rad, so come for as much of it as you can. But definitely don’t miss the fun time with us on Sunday! Our discussion is at noon in the Law Building, Room 4 at:
1536 Hewitt Avenue
Saint Paul, MN 55104-1284
The conference starts on Friday afternoon and goes through Sunday afternoon. The conference fees are sliding scale, $10-20 dollars for students, legal workers, and community members, and they include lunch on Saturday (vegan options available!).
Here’s what the conference is all about, straight from the NLG:
Join the National Lawyers Guild for a radical law conference. Lawyers, law students, and political activists will come together for three days of workshops, trainings, and panels about social justice and law. Hear from legal activists and radical attorneys from the Twin Cities and national activist communities. Fourteen diverse event topics, including:
* Legal observer training
* Know Your Rights workshop presented by Coldsnap Legal Collective
* Ramona Africa of MOVE
* Ken Tilsen (keynote speaker)
* Domestic application of international human rights, with Ajamu Baraka
* Decriminalizing homelessness in the Twin Cities
* Securing the rights of refugees and detainees
* Access to healthcare
* Becoming a radical lawyer without selling out–how to finance a legal education
* People of color and queer legal activist caucuses
* Screening of “Terrorizing Dissent” (a documentary on political repression during the 2008 Republican National Convention)
* And much more!
This conference is open to all activists, legal workers, law students, and attorneys passionate about civil liberties, human rights law, and radical advocacy. Sliding scale registration–no one will be turned away for lack of funds!
See you this weekend!